Work got really crazy this summer and fall and that left no time to work on the TR6 project. 🙁
Things at work have finally seem to be settling down and I will be able to find time to start working on the six again 🙂
The first thing that I want to do is try and get the engine running and that will give me the motivation to get the six on the road this spring.
Still working on the front jackshaft bracket. The bracket that attaches to the head has been machined and a paper template is printed out for test fitting. The bracket will still have nose piece to support the outer bearing.
Test fitting the bearing part of the upper jackshaft bracket.It still needs to have the bolts holes machined for attaching it to the lower bracket. The round pocket is for a bearing.
A small bracket will be added between the supercharger and front jackshaft bracket to add some forward and back rigidity.
The pulleys finally arrived and the supercharger housing for the jackshaft has be started. It is made from a 1” thick piece of aluminum, with a pocket for the sealed bearing. The housing clamps onto the nose that I machined into the neck of the supercharger. I ended up making a new supercharger shaft to fit the 20mm opening of the 8mm 32 tooth cog pulleys.
Test fitting the shaft and belts. A belt tensioner will fit in to the back of the jackshaft adapter.
I am working on the serpentine belt design. A separate belt will be used for the water pump-alternator and the supercharger this will allow the engine to still run if I have a supercharger failure.
Starting to design the brackets for the serpentine end of the jackshaft. I print out the design on paper to make sure it fits before machining piece out of aluminum. The bracket will be designed to allow the installation of a intercooler at a later date.
Supercharger serpentine belt tensioner being test fitted to the paper pattern.
Testing the supercharger serpentine belt routing
Working on the rear disk brake conversion.
a lot of brackets have been made for converting the TR6 rear drum brakes to disks using disks from 1992 Nissan 240sx rotors (4x100mm lug pattern) and 1981-84 Nissan Maxima calipers with hardware.
I didn’t want the caliper brackets to be too thick and I also wanted them to key in with the Goodparts CV hubs. I also make a pocket so that the trailing arm fits into a pocket in the bracket.
I machined the bracket out off a piece of .75” 6061 aluminum with a .375” pocket for the hub and .200” pocket for the trailing arm.
Trailing Arm Side.
Test Fitting. I will be replacing the trailing arm studs.
Showing the fit over the trailing arm flange.
Nice fit for the hub bearing.
Test fitting the caliper
Test fitting the disk.
Work on the 2 1/2” stainless exhaust is nearly complete, still need to install some exhaust hangers. The mufflers are very small and I will look into installing some baffles if it’s too loud
the X pipe fits nicely between the frame rails.
Fitting around the R200 Diff
Once everything is mocked up I will pull everything apart and finish welding and cleaning the frame.
Did a little work on the exhaust pipes today.
The area around the transmission needed to adjusted.
Next I will need to get the exhaust pipes snaked around the R200 differential.
The pilot needle bearing that was supplied with the clutch was not going to work so I located a bushing that fits perfectly at NAPA auto parts. I don’t like needle bearings if they are not installed perfectly they will mess up the input shaft on the transmission.
The flywheel was balanced to match the flex plate off the L67
The new torque to yield bolts next to the old flex plat bolts that I picked up at the GM dealer. Expensive little buggers!
Once you torque the bolts you need to rotate them another 50 degrees. I don’t have a proper wrench so I used my level to measure the correct angle.
This is an old clutch and pressure plate that I picked up a long time ago. If it cant withstand the torque of the motor I will upgrade to a better unit.
Started working on shorting the nose of the Gen V supercharger .
I turned down a new shaft that is about 4” shorter then the original
Pressed on the bearing. The knurling on the shaft holds the drive flange
Drive flange pressed on.
I cut down the housing on the mill and machined the new bearing pocket.
Finished machining the parts.
Test fitting the shortened supercharger.
Compared to the original length.
Time to start on the jack shaft and pulleys.
Today I machined out the housing for the relocation shifter. It was machined out of a piece of 2 1/2” x 3 1/2” 6061.
It will be welded to the housing once everything is fitted properly. The shaft will be cut once I have it set up and dowel pins will be used along with the set screws.
showing the new leveled housing.
Showing the completed coupling with the shaft cut out to allow the shifter ball to fit into the socket.
Finished the housing and welded it into place and installed the shifter.
I am in the process of modifying the tail housing of my T5 Transmission to allow the shifter to be located in the TR6 factory location.
I am making a coupling and housing that will allow any standard factory or aftermarket shifter to be used.
I first have to cut out part of the shifter selector shaft tunnel.
Test fitting the shaft.
I am designing the coupling so that it will drive the original shifter selector so I will not need to modify with the selector gate.
The Camaro T5 transmission is tilted 18 degrees and I want the new shifter to sit level.
I will post more later…